Hong Kong Rent Pressures Hit 45-Year Neighborhood Landmark in Fanling

05.07.2026


A 45-year-old Western restaurant in Hong Kong’s Fanling district is set to close at the end of this month, after failing to absorb a steep rent increase. Yat Sizz Restaurant, a nostalgia-steeped eatery on Wo Fung Street in Luen Wo Hui, will serve its last customers on July 31, staff confirmed in local media reports. Employees said the landlord raised the rent to a level the business could no longer afford, adding the owner "might have thought the Yat Sizz name could carry it." Attempts to negotiate reportedly fell through.

Opened in the early 1980s, Yat Sizz has long been regarded as a local landmark. The restaurant has kept its original interior largely intact, featuring white walls framed by multiple arched doorways, wood floors, black wrought-iron railings and a red-brick English-style bar. The highly distinctive décor has drawn comparisons with Amigo, a high-end French restaurant in Happy Valley, earning Yat Sizz the nickname "Fanling Amigo" and a listing on the Hong Kong Tourism Board’s website.

The menu leans heavily on classic Western fare that was once a staple of old Hong Kong dining rooms: borscht, French escargots, American Angus steaks, deep-fried prawn cutlets and seafood baked under puff pastry, alongside pasta dishes such as spicy garlic prawn angel hair. In its earlier years, the restaurant attracted foreign patrons from nearby British army barracks as well as visitors from other parts of the city who sought out its retro atmosphere and traditional dishes.

News of the impending closure circulated recently on social media, triggering a wave of nostalgic comments from long-time customers who said they were saddened by the development. Many described Yat Sizz as part of the collective memory of North District residents and a defining feature of Luen Wo Hui’s streetscape. With the rent dispute unresolved and the last day of service now set, the venue is poised to become the latest long-established neighborhood business in Hong Kong to disappear, leaving regulars to remember it as a symbol of a fading era of local dining culture.

Taiwan Prosecutors Widen Probe Into Alleged NT$159 Billion Cost Inflation at CPC LNG Project

05.07.2026


Taiwanese prosecutors have intensified an investigation into alleged large-scale budget inflation at state-owned CPC Corp.’s third liquefied natural gas receiving terminal, launching a fourth round of coordinated searches targeting construction contractor Royal Chang Construction Co. and related parties. The Taipei District Prosecutors Office ordered investigators from the Agency Against Corruption and the Investigation Bureau to fan out across 27 locations, summoning 14 people for questioning in connection with the Guantang LNG terminal’s offshore breakwater works.

The probe centers on claims that the budget for the Guantang terminal’s "outer extension" breakwater project was repeatedly marked up in a short period. According to an anonymous complaint backed by a key audio recording cited in multiple reports, the original estimate of about NT$94 billion ($2.9 billion) rose through at least four rounds of increases to a final contract value of NT$253 billion. The recording is said to suggest that the price escalation was driven from the CPC side, with a specified construction firm ultimately winning the contract under a "most advantageous tender" mechanism.

Prosecutors began looking into the case last year after receiving the anonymous submission. To secure documents and electronic records, they carried out three search operations between December and early January that covered CPC, engineering consultant CECI Engineering Consultants’ Taiwan unit, and residences and offices of individuals linked to the project, seizing materials from a total of 11 sites and bringing in former CECI chairman Shih Yi-fang and others for questioning. All those questioned in those rounds, as well as the 14 individuals brought in following the latest searches, were released after questioning as the investigation continues.

The scale and pace of the inquiry has drawn political scrutiny. Opposition lawmaker Lo Chih-chiang has criticized what he describes as slow progress in moving from initial complaints, which he says date back to 2022, to raids on the winning contractor, questioning why the latest search of Royal Chang came months after earlier actions against CPC and consultants. Lo has also highlighted CPC’s high leverage and reliance on state-backed financing as reasons for closer oversight of major capital spending. The Ministry of Economic Affairs said it had already conducted an administrative probe at the request of the Legislative Yuan and forwarded its findings to prosecutors in January, while CPC has pledged to keep cooperating with judicial authorities in an effort to clarify the facts.